Subject: Re: [Leica] Absolutely, totally off-topic
From: Victor Tavernini <victor6@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 18:00:32 -0800 (PST)

That is the biggest bunch of baloney I've read all day

1) Your assumption that value-for-money is not an
issue just because we are Leica users???  If a $100
Nikkor 50/1.8 would give me 80% of what my $1000 50mm
Summicron does ... I'd have a drawer full of the
little buggers.

2) Your argument for 'quality' is vacuous ... unless
you specify what 'qualities' (i.e. attributes,
properties, etc.) you value.  If the ability to pull a
6500lb trailer (Ford Expedition -vs- BMW X5) or a
usable professional digicam (Nikon D1 -vs- Leica ???)
are the 'qualities' a person values ...

Back to the subject at hand ... the person who wrote
that Adobe Photoshop works exactly the same on both PC
& Mac is absolutely correct.

The most important thing to consider when configuring
a PC or Mac for Photoshop is to have 512MB - 1GB of
memory (512MB if scanning at 2700dpi, 1GB for
4000dpi), a really fast and big hard drive(s) (I use
RAID striping of two 7200RPM drives for media and a
separate system drive) and a really good video card &
monitor.  Everything else (PC -vs- Mac, 800MHz -vs-
1GHz, etc.) is secondary and relatively unimportant.

Finally (since I'm on a roll here :-), to the person
who wrote about system stability ... you obviously
haven't used Windows 2000 or XP.  How many stock
exchanges are run on Mac OS??? How many enterprise
databases run on Mac OS??? How many enterprise
anything runs on Mac OS???

Regards,

Victor Tavernini

Joseph Yao <joseph@yao.com> wrote:

Since we are all Leica users, I would have imagined
value-for-money or
costs
should not be a critical issue.  You can buy a Ford or
you can buy a
BMW.
You can buy a PC or you can buy a Mac.  You can buy a
Nikon or you can
buy a
Leica.  You can have quality or you can have value.

I value quality and design above everything else.  I
use a Mac and
prefer a
BMW over a Ford, and would prefer to shoot with a
Leica over a Nikon.

Macs still cost more, but only marginally so.  And as
far as I am
concerned,
I am more than happy to pay the extras for something
more elegant, more
user
friendly and has tons more character.

We all have our choices and decide accordingly.

Yours brainwashed,
Joseph
Mac user, BMW driver, and above all, Leica shooter.
;-)