Subject: RE: [Leica] price of art prints (was re: kyle's fine art)
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:20:19 -0500

At 01:58 PM 3/12/02 -0500, you wrote:

>I know I am exceptionally dense here, but how does what Kyle charge for his
>fine art photos have any bearing on this equation whatsoever?
>
>It seems to me one should just charge what they think there art is worth,
>and do other stuff until enough people agree with you.  Or else adjust the
>price accordingly.
>
>BK

This is getting blown way out of proportion.

All I said was,  "Those of us who are trying to earn our living selling
photographs can't compete with pricing by those who do it for a hobby."

Which is the absolute truth.  Someone who photographs for a hobby does it
strictly for the love of photography and is honored if someone wants his
work.
Someone who earns a living selling photographs must produce photographs
that will sell for whatever it takes to support themselves.  If they don't,
they have to find another line of work and photography becomes a hobby.  A
successful photography business has much more emphasis on "business" than
on "photography" - unfortunately.

I never said Kyle shouldn't charge whatever he wants to!  I do think Kyle's
art is a wonderful investment because it can only go up in value.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com
images available from http://www.pdiphotos.com