Subject: RE: [Leica] price of art prints (was re: kyle's fine art)
From: kiklaas@iinet.net.au
Date: 12 Mar 2002 02:55:41 -0000

It propably amounts to what artists perceive is their "self-worth" and/or
how desperate they are to either earn a living or be acknowledged as
having some token worth which would serve to increase the appreciation of
their own "self worth" over time...looking at the history of the most
famous artists in the world, it seems that doing "what one loves most"
comes with a sacrifice - ie. the value of many artists work only increased
with value after their deaths, many lived in poverty throughout their
whole life.

I, too, would love nothing better than to "work as a fulltime
photographer" for a living - the reality is - it is my profession as an
accountant that provides the standard of living that allows me to do
things like buying a Leica - so I think that is a sacrifice in itself -
ie. getting up every day and doing "the duty work" - if I was able to get
some pleasure out of selling any work, even at a reduced rate, it would
making the getting out of bed as an accountant more of a pleasure.

Karina