Subject: Re: [Leica] airport response
From: "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 15:26:58 -0600

Hi Larry--
I didn't mean to be harsh in my note about airport security.
My advice was meant as a practical matter on trying to get thru security.
BD's advise and concern with our rights is a point well-taken. Again,
BD, I don't disagree. I am very concerned about various erosions of
our rights post-9/11.
The issue of airplane travel is a lightning rod issue in the pro
community and we're all just trying to figure it out. There is no
easy solution or we'd all be doing it now.
ALL solutions seem to have risks.
Purchasing film on site can have risks. Many pros like using an
emulsion batch they've tested. Buying on site eliminates this. IF you
don't care about pre-testing then you still have the problem of
getting it back.  Oh, you can always have your film processed locally
but again, it's a bit of a crap shoot when dealing with
transparencies.
Some photographers are dead-set against shipping film. Stuff can
happen. FedEx claims they don't X-ray so it's relatively safe.
However there's a FedEx sticker you can get for film. Interestingly
it isn't for protection against X-rays. The sticker says (in effect)
'this parcel contains film. Please do not place it near radioactive
shipments.'  So, some feel FedEx may not be the answer.
For most the answer is to ask for hand inspections. Others put their
film in lead bags and put it thru the security machine.
For phonographers who like to travel with 200+ rolls of film, the
problems multiply.
As I said in my last post remember two things.
The local security people have local control over security. They run
it the way they want to which may be dead wrong but it's reality.
Again, remember that nobody really cares about our film or our
"problems". They don't care and frankly they don't want to deal with
it.
So that leaves  us to deal with it best as we can.
John Fulton
Fort Worth
PS---Two solutions I forgot. Some photographers are driving rather
than flying. Others are using