Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder Whiteout Problem - The Answer from Leica
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 13:32:38 -0700

I actually had the reverse. A early M4-2 that flares, it has the original
viewfinder (an experienced Leica tech confirmed this); and a late M4-2 that
did not flare. Viewfinders are mostly* replaced as a unit. The only
exception I know of is the frameline mask set. Definitely any problems with
optics means a complete replacement. I thought the quote said the M5 was the
last camera with a flat mirror?

John Collier

*I know of only one place that still repairs viewfinders