Subject: Re: [Leica] sticky noctilux focus ring???
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 23:03:52 -0800

At 12:11 AM -0500 3/9/02, Grant Heffernan wrote:
>A question for Noct users:
>When turning the focus ring from close focus to infinity (or back), without
>stopping, everything feels Leica smooth. However, if I'm moving from say,
>close focus to infinity, stop half way, then turn back the other way, it
>seems like there's a slight stick to the focus ring.
>Hopefully that makes sense. I only notice it when making small focus
>adjustments, but it is noticeable.
>I'm just wondering if this is the results of moving those large elements
>around, or is it a defect.
>TIA

This can be due to the lubricant being a bit stiff and/or being
unevenly distributed. The cure is to use the lens a lot. Happens most
often with larger lenses that have sat NIB or on someones shelf for
many years. I have a 75 that still has a little bit of that, and I've
had it for 2 years now with a fair bit of use. I think it sat around
for about 10 years without a human touch before that. With my lens I
found it annoying when playing around with it, but forgot about it in
use, so no point worrying about it.

I suppose you could get it relubed under warranty (if you bought it
new), but I would try it for a while for taking pictures; then decide.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com