Subject: Re: [Leica] 400 B&W
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 18:00:29 -0800

At 3:19 PM -0800 3/8/02, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>Rei Shinozuka wrote:
>>
>>  mark,
>>
>>  how about HP5+?  400-speed in 35, 120, 220 and sheet.
>>
>>  they haven't come out with neopan 400 in 220 have they?
>>
>>  -rei
>>

>I had bad luck with HP5 way way back like say in the 70's so it's due
>for another try.
>And how bad could ANY film be in Xtol 1:3?
>
>Now i continue doing certain things with "Tri X" (in name only) pro 320
>in 220 format.
>
>I also still in the studio in 220 use Plus X.
>Both the Tri x AND plus x do so much better in Xtol 1:3 than in Rodinal
>or D76like MQ developers (Rabinol).
>
>I shot a model last weekend with several rolls of Neopan Across 100 and
>the 90 apo Asph.
>
>Sometimes I'd switch to a Hasselblad with Zeiss 120 macro Sonnar lens
>and 120 Neopan Across 100.
>The "big gun".
>I only had one roll of 220 Plus X I'd forgotten to stock up.
>But we'll see if the ACROS 100 blows it out of the water or what. I did
>shoot both.
>
>No 220 means to quick use of 2 120 backs. Doable.
>The quickest is the Leica M with new Leica motor M or Rapidwinder.

I like HP5+. I like the tonal range; especially the longer toe and
shoulder that it has compared with Delta 400. Yes, it's grainier, but
the tones are more important to me. If I want less grain, I'll go to
a larger format or a slower film. In Xtol 1:3 it also seems to have a
bit more useable speed; about 640. Delta 400 seems fairly close to
400; 500 at best.

Acros 100 is a very nice film, and has replaced one of my previous
favourites: FP4. They seem to be effectively the same speed, and the
Acros is definitely sharper looking and smoother. I shoot it at 100.
I also shoot Delta 100, but I don't like the tones quite as much and
it's not quite as sharp, but I can rate it one stop faster at 200 in
Xtol 1:3.

So mostly it's HP5 in my Leicas. I only get one more stop at best out
of Neopan 1600, so I rarely use that. If I really want nearly
grainless handheld B&W, 120 Neopan F (32 ISO) with good MF glass does
better than any Leica shot, Photodo notwithstanding (at least in my
experience).

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design