Subject: Re: [Leica] M-6 Viewfinder 50 MM field wildly different from Nikon F5
From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 13:35:31 -0500 (EST)

i'd say what you see is not unexpected.

The F5 is unusual in that it shows you 100% of the frame--other cameras
in the line, such as the N65 cover 89%.  so if the m6 encloses 91% of
the 50mm's view within the frame (which is a guess) then you have your 10%
difference.  i think of it as a safety factor.  and i like "loose" framing.

- -rei

> From: "Joe Stephens" <joe@atchou.com>
>
> I did a shoot (2nd one) with my new M6 (50mm 1.4)
> and my Nikon F5 (50 mm F2)and again became aware of a SIGNIFICANT
> difference in the "frame" of the 2 cameras.
>
> When sitting on a chair, and holding up both cameras
> to my eye, selecting a point to align the left
> M6 brightline with and seeing how far it goes over to the
> right, then doing the same thing with the F5, the
> F5 includes about 10% more area than does the M6.
>
> So, which is right/wrong?  A 50 mm lens has to include
> the EXACT same area, isn't this correct.
>
> Does the M6 "underestimate" the area, or does the F5
> overestimate.
>
> I have a lot of comments about the shooting, but I guess
> I'd better see the results first.  I wish I had sprung
> for a 35 mm lens, though.

- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com