Subject: Re: [Leica] Real M7 discussion of lag time
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 05:14:23 -0800

on 3/7/02 10:28 PM, Nathan Wajsman at wajsman@webshuttle.ch wrote:

> Ted,
>
> You are right that perhaps in the concrete picture-taking situation one should
> not think about shutter lag, but it is certainly an issue for me when
> evaluating cameras. One of things I love most about my Leica Ms is precisely
> their extremely short shutter lag which frees me from having to think about
> it.
> But when I use my wife's digital camera which of course has an extremely long
> lag compared to an M6, I definitely see the effect of this lag--turned heads,
> closed eyes, etc. In fact, I never attempt any "decisive moment" type shots
> with such cameras because the failure rate is so high. The same with any P&S
> autofocus camera.
>
> I guess Leica has spoiled me in this regard.
>
> Nathan

There is a "decisive moment" but no "decisive second".  The behavior of
living things is predictable only in very short time intervals; the longer
the interval, the more a person's behavior approaches completely random.  I
like a short shutter lag.

Replies: Reply from Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net> (Re: [Leica] Real M7 discussion of lag time)