Subject: Re: upside-down airplanes (was: [Leica] Optical Question)
From: Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 16:22:46 +0000

Most aircraft can't maintain upside down flight
unless the airfoil is symmetrical. The pilot can
push up and apply thrust but only for a short while,
and a tremendous fuel cost. It's not very stable either.

If not don't you think someone would have already
marketed upside down airline travel.

It's possible to design a fully symmetrical (wing and fuse)
that has no preference but the asymmetrical designs are far more
aerodynamic.

I think some research aircraft are designed like that so sensors on
both top and bottom can point up or down without any penalty

Javier