Subject: Re: [Leica] Microprisms for R8?
From: "Julian Koplen" <jkoplen@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 12:21:04 -0500

Doug,

I know I couldn't match the beauty of your pictures with anything short
of the rare Doug Herr Eye for my focusing screen.  That aside, I agree with
you
about the desire to try a clone of the SL screen on the R8.  I really like
my R8, but for all its bells and whistles, it doesn't (for me) match the
viewfinder satisfaction of the SL.

I just went on the rear deck and did some camera switching, with the
neighbor's grass as my "subject", and found: Using the 400, the periphery of
the SL screen gets a slight edge for brilliance.  When I switched to the R8,
I actually looked up to see if a thin whisp of a cloud had gone over the sun
(no clouds in the whole sky).  The central microprisms of the SL do darken
with the 400 f6.8, and I actually do not use the central area for focusing
that lens.  But I like those same central microprisms with my 180, 90, and
below.

I may wind up with the central microprisms on the R8 to make its use with
shorter lenses a little more comfortable.  I can still use ground glass in
the periphery for focusing the 400.  And I've still avoided the central
split image mess.  To tell the truth, all this has more to do with a feeling
of security (comfort) in focusing than with any problem I've actually
experienced with performance.

But oh, how I hate switching screens.  Simple, I know, but I manage to
fumble and get extra dust in the viewfinder every time I do it.

Thanks for your input, and for those links to your photography.  It's always
nice to revisit.

Julian