Subject: [Leica] Re: 40mm Summicron on other M mount cameras
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 18:03:27 +1100

>>Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 19:24:58 -0600
>>From: "Jeffery L. Smith" <jsmith45@bellsouth.net>
>>Subject: [Leica] Leica CL 40mm Summicron on other M-mount cameras
>>There is some speculation that the 40mm f/2 Summicron made for the Leica
>>CL will not focus correctly on other camera bodies. Has anyone used this
>>lens on a Leica M3 through M6 or on a Bessa-T? Or on a Hexar RF?
>>If it only focuses correctly on a CL, I'll leave it on that. I'd rather
>>use it on a Bessa-T.
>>Jeffery Smith
>
>Hi Jeff,
>I have a 40mm Summicron that I have used on my M6, M6HMTTL and my
>Hexar RF without focusing problems. Today it lives on my CLE (with
>the correct frames line). The angle of the focusing cam on the lens
>for the CL was slightly different that on other M's and this is
>supposed to produce focusing errors for the 40 and the 90 F4.0 which
>were produced especially for the CL. I guess that is true at the
>theoretical limit but in my practical experience I haven't had any
>trouble with the focus of my 40. Haven't owned the 90 so can't
>comment.

I can --- works fine, both in Minolta and Leica elmar c
configurations. I use the latter now on M3, M6 both .72 and .85 sans
problems.

>  BTW the 40 Summicron is a very nice lens, compact and produces the
>usual saturated Leica look.

Agree completely, it was one of the 3 reasons I got hooked on the
rangefinder as my major camera, the other two being the 28 and the
90mm lenses for the CLE

>About my 40 Summicron, I dropped it one night about 6 feet off a
>stone wall to the pavement below while taking pictures of the bridge
>across the Danube between Buda and Pest.

VERY clumsy Howard. Some notable people have flung themselves off
briges in that area as I recall.

- --
Alastair Firkin

http://www.afirkin.com