Subject: Re: [Leica] Removing lens coating
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 17:02:20 EST

Dr.Alexander.Kraus@gmx.de writes:

> It is true that toothpaste contains polishing agents, but its grain size is
>  about same as the finest grain size that's use in the optical industry.
> There is no other way to remove a lens coating than to polish it off. .....
>  Old coatings are usually much softer than the glass underneath. If you
>  polish it by hand, it would take *very* long until a significant amount of
> glass get grinded off.

Thank you Alexander. I think you have made my point: what is in toothpaste
polishes just like the polishing/grinding agents used by the optical
industry. I guess what I was saying is that I don't have sufficient
confidence in my own ability to know when I might just have polished off the
unruly coating without starting to polish off some of the glass beneath the
coating and affecting the image-making quality of my lens. I'd rather leave
that to a John Van Stelten who does nothing but critical work on fine lenses.
Others will probably have more confidence ion their ability not to affect the
glass.

Thanks for the added information.

Seth        LaK 9