Subject: RE: [Leica] Doesn't ALL Leica gear originate from a "Leica Authorized Dealer"????? - Was International warranty...
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 10:21:31 -0500

I believe your example is the exception, rather than the rule, Dan. You are,
in effect, 'going overseas,' and buying the camera from an authorized
dealer, and, therefore, it is covered by the "international warranty.'

The problem arises for those of us who on occasion buy so-called 'gray
market' equipment, cameras or lenses that come into the U.S. through one
'back door' or another, and are not imported directly from Leica by the
authorized dealer. What the dealers then tell one, and I gather what Leica's
position is, is that the Passport Warranty does not apply. Yes, this sucks.
And I agree fully with Austin's contention that an honorable manufacturer,
having serial numbers, should stand by their product and honor any
warranties for the full period of the warranty. But it seems that's not the
way it works.

B. D.