Subject: RE: [Leica] PMA'd out and the M7
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 13:12:33 EST

 The black chrome on the Leica M's (and R's too) is a process similar to the
regular bright chrome. The process involves the use of a chromium salt (I
have only seen it as Eloxal and with a Leitz Germany label on it) and some
rather nasty chemicals such as cyanide and acid. The process involves coating
the piece to be plated with acid copper (when done on Zinc or other alloys)
and then a layer of nickel plating and lastly the black chrome. The wear on a
black chrome camera usually involves wearing the black chrome off and having
the nickel show up as a silvery finish and if you persist you can wear it
down to brass underneath. This takes a lot of film though! I have a M4P that
I bought new in 1981 that has worn through to brass on the back and top, but
most of the wear is down to the nickel plating. The alloy top-plate (a zinc
die-casting) needs the acid copper to seal the pores in the casting as it
otherwise can react with salt-laden air and start a galvanic reaction. There
was a small series of R6's that suffered from this and the black chrome
plating could blister and the plating peel off. I have seen diecast alloy
baseplates at Leica Midland in the early 1980's but they were never put into
production as the structural strength of the "hinge" part of the baseplate
was questionable. Zinc alloy is very strong, but upon impact it can crack
rather than dent as brass would do. All M baseplates are made from brass and
some of the "special finishes" on the M6/M6TTL had brass top-plates and, to
my knowledge, all of the M7's will have brass top-plates. Using brass allows
Leica to adapt production to a variety of changes, such as the Millenium
camera (and the Japanese Hansa/ICI/Dragon etc) with the M3 rewind as well as
allowing engravings on the top-plate rather than having expensive casting
molds done for each variation. The LHSA black paint cameras also have the
brass top-plate as alloy is notorious for providing a bad surface for
painting. Anodizing is a different process as it requires an aluminium alloy
base and the colouring is "sunk" into the surface of the material. Plating
builds up on  the top of the surface and will change dimensions of the piece
plated. I seem to remember that the first black chrome M's were the M4
Midland and a small series of M4 Wetzlar with the M5 being the first
production model in black chrome. The zinc diecast models started with the M6
and the late "flush windowed" M4P's. My personal preference is brass with
black paint as it tends to look pleasantly used with the brass showing
through.
All the best,
Tom A

Tom Abrahamsson