Subject: [Leica] Pondering an R8
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 20:17:58 -0500

Interesting to follow recent comments for and against the R8 vs. its jazzier Japanese
competition. Fact is, when I was considering buying a new SLR just a few years ago, I
considered the R8 seriously -- even though there was NO motor drive at the time, and
for some time afterwards. That accessory's notorious teething pains are well-known --
I won't review that sorry history. But it was no added incentive to buying into the
system.

I was definitely attracted by the very sophisticated metering and flash systems the
Japanese marques offered. Their very quick load/rewind speeds were also enticing.
These are features many pros want because they make a difference.

The dealer salesman I consulted (who is now part of Leica's Canadian agency) actively
steered me towards the N***on F5 and away from the R8: "It's nice, but it's too big.
The F5 is a machine made for photography."  I find the C**on EOS-1 the most ergonomic
of all, but the F5 allowed me to hang on to some of my favourite old manual focus
lenses, while resorting to AF on those few occasions when it is handy.

I still think about switching to Leica's SLR system -- probably a couple of SL
bodies, though. Those lenses are something special, I know. But the R8 always seems
like such an oddball critter, despite what I believe to be some of its finer
qualities. I suspect there are many here who agree.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal

Replies: Reply from "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Pondering an R8)
Reply from "SML" <inyoung@jps.net> (Re: [Leica] Pondering an R8)