Subject: Re: [Leica] Pondering an R8
From: "R. R. Hirtler" <hirtler@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:35:08 -0500

Apples and oranges.

The kind of photographer who chooses Nikon or Canon or Pentax or Minolta do
so because they want the latest and greatest technology.  They need to get
the cookie-cutter shot, matrix-metered, perfectly exposed and off to the
editor or the Motophoto in nothing flat.  And if it meant putting food on
the table and paying the rent, I might gladly go that route.

But that for me is not the case.  I prefer Leica's because they allow me to
*escape* from the latest and greatest technology.  I work with computers all
day long.  The last thing I really want in a camera are a bunch of
algorithms written by engineers doggedly adhering to the accepted industry
guidelines for what makes a good picture.

It's just me and the camera.  Whether the photo is a success or a failure,
it's all me.

BTW, Leica has not really been a camera for the masses in decades..no more
than BMW has been a car for the masses since the 2002 model was
discontinued.

Perhaps Leica can learn from BMW, or Apple for that matter.  They do not
sell a product as much as they sell a lifestyle.  When you choose Leica, you
want to stand out from the crowd.  You want to be different.

The one thing I see working against Leica is longevity.  Cars and computers
have an inherent obsolescence of a few years.  Leica's last for decades.
Which is very refreshing in this throwaway society of ours, but not very
good for business I suppose.

- -Rick