Subject: Re: [Leica] Artificial light shooting
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@idea-processing.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:10:12 -0800

On 2/27/02 at 12:31 PM, henryting10@yahoo.com (Henry Ting) thoughtfully wrote:

> Question on artificial lighting.
> Take for example a night game of basketball, baseball,
> or horse-racing, is there a definitive way to tell
> whether its tungsten lighting, mercury lighting or
> otherwise without having a color-temperature meter ?
> Can I assume that these lightings are close to 3200K ?

Good question - I'll be interested in the answers but I'll also inquire at the
darkroom because lately a lot of sports photogs have been processing prints from
Kings and Sharks games.

I'd have to think that an venue designed for professional sports will be
different from a venue designed for, say, high school sports. They will have
thought about television coverage and lighted to the standards the networks
need.

A few years ago I was at the USA Swimming Olympic Team Trials and was amazed by
the lighting that NBC added. I had thought the Indianapolis natatorium was quite
bright - but the lights from NBC were both substantially brighter and, to my
eye, substantially bluer than the normal facility lights.

As the new sulfer technology lights find more uses - they are very energy
efficient and have a spectrum relatively close to daylight (according to the
literature) - this may begin to change. I'd love to light my family room with
one of those but the smallest fixture I can find is 1KW and it provides about 50
times the amount of light I need even when the light is directed at ceiling
12-18 feet above the floor. (If you haven't seen these the lamps have no heated
elements - they are just spheres with a sulfer gas that is excited my microwaves
from a magnetron. They have long life-times. I think they were invented at one
of the  national laboratories - LLNL I think.

Here's a link to one of the vendors.

<http://www.fusionlighting.com/index.htm>

Just to be perfectly clear about this - beyond my interest in efficient lighting
technology - I have nothing at all to do with the company. I do stand to gain
from the adoption of efficient lighting systems since it uses fewer resources.

Adam