Subject: RE: [Leica] B.D.'s continued rants
From: "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:07:33 -0500

What is the big deal with you guys?  B.D. simply challenged the independence
of a widely accepted authority.  On this list, with all the journalists and
want-to-be journalists, you would think that people would understand that
this sort of thing not only should be appreciated but also understood to be
necessary.  Indeed, until B.D. came along, Erwin had, to my knowledge, made
no statements regarding his independence from Leica.  When I post something
on the web regarding a commercial enterprise, I am courteous enough to put
the "no commercial relationship" disclaimer in the message.  This is
something that Erwin does not do.

Why does Erwin need to be treated like some unchallengable authority?  He is
not some God or the a reigning monarch.  He is a public figure making public
statements.  This makes him open to criticism, wit, satire, and raspberries.
To me, his writings sound a lot like advertising copy and his unwillingness
to make a criticism about a Leica product is worrisome.  For example, he
talks about the M7 finder.  Like a good chunk of the world, I wear glasses.
Given that many eyeglass viewers have problems seeing the 28mm frameline in
the M6 finder, you would think that there would be some comment about how
easy it is to see the LED readout in the M7. Why not?

Is he independent?.. yes.  Is he objective?..he is objective about Leica the
same way I am objective about my children...who are, by the way,  both
beautiful, intelligent, and without fault.  And they both work without
batteries down to -35 degrees C ;-).

Jonathan Lee