Subject: [Leica] Was - QUESTIONS FOR Johan Ericson - Different Lists are....different..
From: "DUNCAN" <0709433420@euromail.se>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:05:12 +0100

Well Jeffery, all lists are different and have different personalities, as
they should or our choice would be awfully limited;-) ie. be on the list or
don't. I subscribe on and off to one of the Topica groups and have found it
OK.
I've subscribed to LUG for a few months and that's been interesting too. As
you know I own http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MUGers and co-moderate it with
Jack Flesher. We're over 430 members there and quite honestly I've only
stepped in and uttered a moderative word once in the entire time the group
has existed. As Sonny said, there simply are NO battles or slanging matches.
But I set that group up with that in mind. Everyone talks Leica in a
civilised and friendly fashion and everyone gains from that. Geez, no-one
even complains about showing PAWS etc..as that's been an essential part from
the beginning. It's just a fun place to hang out and discuss a favourite
subject; I don't think one has to take it any more seriously than that,
quite honestly... Bare in mind that this is IN NO WAY A CRITICISM OF LUG!!!
LUG is set up in a different way and that's just fine for those who like it
and/or can take it. BUT...many people just don't enjoy the slanging matches
and OT threads that go on forever and others may take offense to the
language and others to the constant jives directed at them etc..etc...like
others said, get out of the kitchen if you can't stand the heat...well, yes,
OK.... That's kind of a selfish way to look at things, though, rather like
thugs smashing up the one and only bar in town every night and then telling
everyone else to go elsewhere if they don't like it.
With regard to MUG, while I don't take offense to the odd OT posting and
some fun jokes between members, I also don't really see the need to thrash
each other over all things Leica and not Leica. Sometimes lists become
places where people with enormous chips on their shoulders about one thing
or another, come to take out their fustrations, a place where they attempt
to seek out that schoolground bully and make him pay; no, they don't find
the bully but, hey, anyone will do, right?....;-)
Anyway, each to his/her own. LUG, LEG, MUG, each is different and thank
goodness. Means when you get tired of one you can go over to the other and
rest a while, whether your idea of resting is a friendly talk about Leica
cameras and photography, or a good hearty fight with someone who just had it
coming to them:-):-)

- -Take Care,

- -Duncan

We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give.

http://www.leica-gallery.net/

I agree. Sign up on some of the Topica lists that Sonny and I have been
flamed off of for venturing off topic in the nicest of language! Now
THOSE are well-monitored!! ;-)

JLS