Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Pondering an R8
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 07:58:07 -0800

Tom Lianza wrote:
> At the risk of being flamed and angering a few on this group, I'd strongly
> advise against the R8.  I own one and occasionally use it, but frankly, for
> me, it just doesn't work.  The vaunted ergonomics just don't seem to be
> there.  Put a 180mm f2.8 lens on that body and hang it around your neck and
> you might as well have a Rollei 6000 series SLR hanging on your neck.

I was, and I'm strongly tempted, to get an R8. It's higher sync
capability is something that was missing, but I suspected Leica waited
too long to bring that feature to the market place. Flashfill has been a
mainstay for nearly three decades in commercial photography, a time that
lost a whole generation of possible users to them.
My R system is now reduced to an R6, with three lenses.
Coincidentally, when I recently pondered my purchase of an R8, I ran it
by a photo editor, who's also a photographer, during lunch a few weeks
ago. We went over what I use for  my shoots. Since I consistently use
120, it didn't take much to recognize that I needed to beef up my lens
inventory for my Rollei 6003. I wound up buying a PQ 60mm Distagon. It
cost more than the R8, but it's a system that makes money. Whereas with
the Leica, in not having been able to integrate it into my commercial
work, has been relegated to being a personal work camera. That is not
bad in and of itself, as my personal work is a key driving factor that
clients use when they decide to use my services.

   Slobodan Dimitrov

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Re: Pondering an R8)