Subject: Re: [Leica] P&S cameras and Canon L glass compared to Leica
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:11:02 -0800

on 2/22/02 5:10 PM, Sam Carleton at scarleton@miltonstreet.com wrote:

> S Dimitrov wrote:
>
>> The only thing I've found getting close to the Leica glass are
>> the L series in the EOS Canon line. I've seen clients just about fall
>> out of their chairs looking at the results.
>
> First off, I love my Leica M, but I understand that it cannot do
> everything.  I am seeking lens that can come close to comparing.  In
> speeking with my local camera store, who sold me the M6, they said that
> the R glass is not any better then Nikkor glass.  What is the opinion of
> the LUG on this matter?

I can't speak for the LUG but my personal experience is that Leica-R lenses
tend to control flare better than Nikkors, resulting in cleaner colors and
better shadow detail.  There are exceptions with specific Nikkor lenses but
as a family trait the R glass gives me better color quality and better flare
control.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
www.wildlightphoto.com