Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Developing Question (sample image) Help!
From: "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:47:24 -0000

Many thnaks to all who responded to my original post regarding my first
foray into b&w developing and my initial disappointment with the results.

Working on the basis that I probably overexposed and under fixed the first
roll of Delta 100 I just developed another roll with a shorter development
time and a longer fix time.  To determine the fix time I put a piece of
unprocessed film into the fix solution and waited to see how long it took to
go clear.  I could see through the film in under a minute.  All I have read
states that this time should be doubled which would give two minutes fix
time.  However, working on the assumption that the snow on my images from
the last roll could have been due to too little fixing (and that was a five
minute fix) I fixed this film for eight minutes.

I processed as follows:  I developed in in Ilfotec HC (1+31) for 5.5 minutes
starting with 10 seconds continuous agitation and then five inversions every
minute, used Ilfostop for 30 seconds, then Ilford Hypam fixer for eight
minutes with continuous inversions for the first minute and then five
inversion every minute, and washed for 15 minutes, adding a little wetting
agent at the end to aid drying.

Here is a sample of one of the images and, as you can see, the snow is still
there.

http://www.sclamb.com/temp/Test%20Sample.jpg

Can anyone say what is causing this snow on the image?  I have scanned many
Delta 100 & 400 images on my LS30 and never had this problem, so I can only
assume I am doing something wrong in the processing.

Thanks again for any advice.

Simon

Replies: Reply from "John Black" <jblack@ambio.net> (Re: [Leica] OT: Developing Question (sample image) Help!)
Message from "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com> (Re: [Leica] OT: Developing Question)