Subject: Re: [Leica] some quick q's from a new user
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:53:32 -0500

Steve King wrote:

> Hi Folks -- I'm sure y'all are inundated with
> questions from new users, but I'd appreciate some
> help.
>
> Last week, I took a deep breath and purchased a well-used
> M6 classic and 50mm f2 Summicron from KEH. I'd been
> using a Contax G1; loved the lenses, but finally couldn't
> stand the automation, the finder and...the "gadgetry vibe",
> for lack of better expression. While it's far too early
> to profess that I'm a believer...my, these ARE nice cameras,
> aren't they? :)

Careful now -- they're addictive too :-).

> Anyway. Long story longer: I'm headed on trip to the mountains
> (CO.,US) tomorrow, and am intent on packing the M6. I neglected
> to purchase a lens cap, however. Normally I use hoods, at
> least with my SLR's, but I don't have that, either. Is
> there any sort of household cap, y'all are familiar with, that
> might serve as a make-shift lens cap for a 50mm Summicron?
> The camera will be jammed in a small, cheap belt-pack, when
> not being used, and I'm sortta loathe not to protect the
> lens surface (though it's fairly tough?).

If you're really concerned, just cut some plastic and rubber-band it on
when needed. Alternatively, stick the whole camera w/lens into a Zip-Loc
  bag. I assume you don't have a UV filter on the lens or you wouldn't
be asking the question.

> Second, I'm still not quite sure what doesn't/doesn't drain
> the batteries. If I leave the shutter speed set to something
> other than "B", but nothing touches the shutter-release...
> Are my batteries still draining?

No. But it doesn't take much pressure on the shutter-release to do the
job. I had my M6 classic for years before I even knew that B turned off
the meter (that's what I get for not reading the manual I guess). As you
can imagine, it is only a problem if you carry the camera in a bag.

> Third, for shooting against the snow (eg, ski slopes),
> what sort of metering compensation is generally recommended?
> The "usual"? Say +1.5/2EV? I'm a bit confused on how the meter
> works -- it's something of a large spot meter?

Take the lens off and look at the spot on the shutter. Now imagine that
dot inside whatever frameset you are using (proportionally to the frame
in use). That's the metering area.

> The ergonomics of the focus-tab on the lens are new to me.
> I've found it most "natural" to hold my left hand (I'm
> right-eyed/handed) as if shooting a handgun, sideways, with the
> camera resting on the 2nd,3rd and 4th fingers, and the
> index finger pushing and pulling on the serrations of
> the tab. It's a bit awkward, but I assume I'll get used to
> it. Is this the fairly orthodox "grip"? Or is there the
> super-secret M6 method? :)

Hold the right side of the camera with your right hand. Hold your left
hand palm up and set the camera on it. Lift to your eye and focus with
left thumb and forefinger.

> Many thanks; I've enjoyed what I've read so far, since
> turning on this list, and the terrific photographs!
>
> Steve King

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014