Subject: [Leica] In Our Own Backyard?
From: Bill Clough <bill_clough@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:31:46 -0800 (PST)

TEXAS
CORPUS CHRISTI

   The question about whether or not a photographer should
limit his perspective to his own back yard brings to mind
the words of writer Claude Levi-Strauss. In his "World on
the Wane," he asked:

   "Did not my mistake, and that of my profession, lie in
the belief that men are not always men? That some are more
deserving of our interest and our attention because there
is something astonishing to us in their manners, or in the
colour of their skin? No sooner are such people known or
guessed at, than their strangeness drops away, and one
might as well have stayed in one's own village."

   But Margaret Atwood, in "Bodily Harm," was much more
succinct:

   "Why don't the white guys look for the heart of darkness
in their own bathrooms?"

   Still--cannot it be argued that when photographers are
in a place that is new and strong and strange, they are
more alert--and therefore see photographs they might
otherwise miss in more familiar settings?

  -- Bill Clough