Subject: Re: [Leica] filter size for leica lens 180mm
From: Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 21:09:00 +0000

If it's first version Elmarit 180 F2.8 then
it's a series 8. To remove the hood
place the lens with a back cap on a table
and set the focusing ring a few feet off infinity.
Now take the palm of your left hand and place it on top of
the hood distributing pressure as evenly as possible
and try not to touch the glass. Now take your remaining
hand and wrap it around the hood and try to turn it clockwise
until it's loose. Again use uniform pressure (this time radial of
course)
and aproximate a perfect turning motion. Use dish washing
gloves if you can't get a good grip without applying
too much pressure. Remember that these rings have been on
30 years and may be tight. once the ring is loose just unscrew
it and pull the hood back some more. Install the 72 filter
and replace the ring on the hood. I need to backtrack
a little here. I said you could just loose the hood but now that I
remember
you would also have to remove the inner sleeve for that
and that's a little more involved, so just replace the retaining ring on
the hood
 when you're done.
Javier