Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 7 SonC ADDED POINT: night sky scene...
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 08:38:55 -0800

Sonny showed:
>>> Picture A Week Seven was taken last Monday night on "Lundi Gras," on
> New Orleans' Magazine Street, just a few blocks from two huge parades.
>
> http://www.sonc.com/paw2/magazine.htm<<

Hi Sonny,
Good one! But in this shot there is a very good learning point for folks
about shooting as the day moves into the twilight zone.  .......and that
is........... "the direction you're shooting at this time of early evening."

If one is looking for street shooting evening-time, then look for photo
situations facing to the west. Why? Because there will be light in the
western sky after the sun goes down, leaving some detail/colour to the sky
and not just a black void losing building detail and form.

Sure it doesn't always work out that way, but if you seek locations with the
western sky in mind it's quite surprising how much better one's twilight
zone photographs become. To examine whether this works or not, go out and
look at the eastern and western skies after the sun goes down or until the
eastern sky has gone black, then look west and up to a certain time there
will be a faint glow to enhance your photographs.

When we've been on assignments and evening scenes are required the first
thing that comes out is the compass for east-west orientation, then the hunt
begins. :-)

Thanks Sonny for providing the teaching material. ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant