Subject: Re: [Leica] Jonathan's PAW week 7
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 20:08:17 -0800

Jonathan wrote & showed:
>>> Here is the link to my PAW 7:
>New year's day with the family at another buddhist temple. I ran into this
poor fellow that had a big job to do!<<<<<

Hi Jonathan,
Picture location has great possibilities. However!  What this really is, is
a properly exposed in focus image. Sorry mate but that's reality! The error
is usually created by having the "family" along with you, as your
photographic concentration is always broken, because the "family" keep
breaking into your picture taking mind set. Trust me, it goes when the
family is along! Period!

And I speak with many many years of experience on this one, and it still
goes on today if Mrs. G goes with me on any kind of a photo expedition.

>>I ran into this poor fellow that had a big job to do!<<

That maybe true, but they're your words and not what the picture
illustrates!

Sure the guy with the broom is standing there, but where does it illustrate
that he has a big job to do? He does appear as though he's looking at the
flowers in the foreground, but even then he doesn't really have any kind of
facial appearance like he knows he's going to be sweeping and cleaning for
the next 24 hours.

I'd have waited until he began his sweep. Or behind him is someone relating
to the temple with hand up that might have been a better subject to pursue.

What are all the people lined-up in the back ground waiting for?  Are there
picture possibilities within that group or what they will be doing? This
location has a million dollars worth of picture potentials, but looking at
the PAW posted you've really missed the boat with this one. Yep it's a
record shot of  "I was there!" And that's about all. Sorry, but like I said,
that's reality.

I already know what your answer will be, "I couldn't wait around because the
family didn't want to wait, or my wife made me move on. Or some version of
either. ;-)

Feel good that at least you made the effort and that's a hell of a lot
better than not to have made any effort at all. :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant