Subject: [Leica] Tmax 100 Rules
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 19:29:38 -0400

One of Erwin Puts newsletters comments that Tmax 100 is the finest grained
of the pictorial films.  I am inclined to believe him.  There were a few
rolls of Tmax 100 on my shelf that I decided to try yesterday.

I was off to shoot some more eagles, but it was too cold and the birds were
in the woods up in the evergreens and out of range, rather than in the Elm
trees and near the side of the road.  I then decided to try some B&W with
the M6 and M3 and shoot some snow scenes.  A few of the results are at the
page below.

One thing I learned is the grain of the Tmax 100 is much finer than that of
the Tmax 400 which I usually shoot.  It also seems to be much harder on
fixer.  I develop in a Jobo and the fixer is used one shot.  On the Tmax
100 negatives there were little spots where the base didn't clear.  It
looked like a lot of dust on the negatives when I scanned them.  There were
also larger spots near the sprockets where the negatives didn't clear.  I
am using an Agfa concentrate for fixer and I guess I will just have to mix
it a little stronger for the Tmax films.  Kodak warns that fixer exhausts
quicker with Tmax.

Comments are welcome on the images.  They were shot with a 50mm Summicron,
35mm Summicron ASPH, and 24mm ASPH.  I used yellow and red filters.  The
film was developed in Xtol 1:1.

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/BW.htm

Regards,

Robert