Subject: [Leica] Landscapes
From: John Amiet <jeapic@operamail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:57:08 +1100

I have been playing around with some landscape angles to test a recently serviced camera, but also to test
myself. The camera is a Hasselblad 203FE. Lens' used
were CF110/f2 and CF 250/f4. I walk through the environment depicted (below) every day, so it is pretty
'ordinary' to me from one point of view. The other side of me
says, this is somewhere special. Enjoy it. Record it. So I have started. This is only a beginning. The total
environment, all within very easy walking distance contains
images (to the keen observer) that could be claimed to belong anywhere in the world. Well nearly anywhere!
Snow countries excluded.

There is a range from cityscapes to seascapes to mountainscapes to junglescapes. I walk through them all
every day. Actually, until I started writing this, I never really
realized what a wonderful world is mine. I must resolve to take this further, pictorially.
For now, as a result of looking at Jeffery Smith's recent pics in the swamplands in New Orleans and
wondering about the problem of simplifying composition in his
particular environment, I theorized that tele lens' would help with selective focus, thus concentrating on one
particular aspect of the scene.
Following is my first foray into the problem.
This pic is looking along my regular walking track on the clifftop at the beach.
http://www.showplace.com.au/PH14293_6.jpg
This is the same part of the track looking the opposite way.
http://www.showplace.com.au/PH14293_8.jpg
This image I find reminiscent of Eugene Smith's famous pic of the two young children walking through the
bush - minus the children.
I must try doing something like that!
http://www.showplace.com.au/PH14294_11.jpg
This image is part of a semi-hidden track connecting the beach and clifftop track. Very jungle-like
environment, yet not 50metres away is a main highway.
http://www.showplace.com.au/PH14294_7.jpg

If people are interested, I will share more exciting (to me anyway) pictures of my world in the near future.
Somehow I see this as a test of observation as it is very easy
to take 'great' pics when travelling, but not so easy in one's everyday commonplace environment.

I usually carry a Leica or two, plus lenses all in separate pouches on a waist belt when I do this walk (just
keep this OT) ;-)
Please enjoy,
JohnA

John Amiet