Subject: Re: [Leica] The Decisive Moment
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 22:20:05 -0500

At 09:49 PM 2/12/02 -0500, Kevin Argue wrote:
>The economy is not the problem. Attitude of the US media giants is the
>problem. Read American Photographer a few years back on the World Press
>winners and lack of publication in the US. Salgado gets in the NY Times but
>the rest would rather pay for photos of Julia Roberts or Tom Cruise than
>documentaries on poor parts of the world.
>
>Kevin Argue

Kevin

This is a capitalist society.  I do recognize that Canadians attempt to
avoid approaching this reality.  Most READERS and VIEWERS would much rather
see pictures of Julia Roberts or Tom Cruise (whoever they are) than of some
'poor part of the world'.  The folks who OWN these publications want to
make money, or else they'd not own them.  So, cleanly and clearly, they buy
and publish pictures which are of interest to their audience.  If a
photographer wants to shoot pictures of dismal areas which have no market,
then so be it.  He is to be lauded for his dedication to Reform and damned
for his lack of common sense.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!