Subject: Re: [Leica] Salgado Revisted
From: Tarek Charara <tarek.charara@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:23:50 +0100

Allan,

I don't know where you live or how you live, but if you happen to travel a
bit and if you go outside the "tourist path" then maybe you will realize
that the world is slightly different from Disneyland. You can find poverty
and social distress in your neighborhood. 3/4 of the world live in or at the
edge of poverty. I think that Salgado's pictures reflect this reality
efficiently.

I don't think that you know or understand Salgado's work or the philosophy
behind his work. If you did, you wouldn't be judging him or his photography
so fast.

Bloating bellies? Go check again!
http://www.terra.com.br/sebastiaosalgado/index.htm

Photography is not only about composing and printing, it's also about
emotions or messages. You can close your eyes on the "ugly" things in the
world - it doesn't make them go away!

Pictures tell you more (or as much) about yourself than about the
photographer... (a bit à la Rohrschach). I find your reactions very
interesting.

Of course you are entitled to your opinions! But your perception of the
world is just that: your perception. It doesn't mean that it corresponds to
reality.

You use bloated words to express nothing but your opinions. You explain
nothing. What kind of propaganda? Do you think Salgado's pictures lie? Why?
Do they make you believe something that is not true? What if it was the
other way around? Maybe you have been living in a world of propaganda and
you have lost touch with certain realities? Champion of parlor radicals????

I do not understand when you say "Foolish in this case means making note of
social ills and offering even greater ills as solutions." What greater ills?

Tarek