Subject: [Leica] Non-banal pictures of prosperity in the Midwest
From: "Mark Davison" <DAVISON_M@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 22:17:26 -0800

In the course of our discussion of Salgado, someone mentioned that pictures
of posperity tend to be banal. As a possible counterexample, I will mention
that I recently borrowed "In Search of Lake Wobegon" from the library, with
text by Garrison Keillor and photos by Richard Olsenius. (This is an
expanded version of a story that appeared in National Geographic.)

I never understood the US midwest until I had the mixed experience of living
there for 4 long years. Suddenly Keillor's radio show  "A Prairie Home
Companion" was funny.

Anyway, I enjoyed this book both for the excerpts of Keillors humor, and the
direct to the heart black and white photographs. They combine strong
emotional and formal content, and a touch of humor. No evidence of
detectable propagandizing.

You can read about the photographic techniques involved at the National Geo
web site--
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0012/feature5/zoom1.html

For the Leica fans (and assorted believers in the doctrine of equipment
determinism) Olsenius used an M6 and a Wista 4 x 5 view camera. He must have
used his personality too to get some of the intimate shots he got.

Mark Davison