Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital and lens resolution was Re: APD out
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 06:50:12 -0800

As much as I would like to believe what I am told, especially by very
reputable sources,  a white paper, is usually, and in this case especially,
self serving.  I am not an optics expert.  I have spent a lot of time in
marketing.  You can not sell new product in a saturated market unless you
come up with a reason for customers to buy.  Sometines called the Killer
Application in PC talk.

Why do I need to pre-distort my images when I have a 1.3GHz Pentium 4
computer sitting there doing essentially nothing?  If all this stuff were
true, it would be done digitally.

Frank Filippone

Don't take my word for it - Schneider has published an excellent white paper
on why high resolution lenses are unsuited to digital applications.