Subject: [Leica] Tamarkin's moving
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 15:40:17 EST

<<<

I was in the Tamarkin Camera store yesterday and found out that they're

moving.

For those of you in the NYC area familiar with Tamarkin Camera, they'll be

moving in about two weeks to:

Their rent's tripled and, as they don't expect they'll triple their sales

accordingly, they have to move.

I wonder how long before the Leica Gallery, which is on the same floor as

Tamarkin, has to move.  It was real convenient for them to be next to each

other  -- walk out of the Leica Gallery in an inspired state of mind and

walk into Tamarkin to get some new piece of gear to help work off the

inspiration!

Jay Deutch, who runs the Leica Gallery, owns the building...so I think they
are safe.

The rent "tripling" has something to do with the very low price that was
extended to them when they moved in -and some personal differences
subsequently. Don't cry too hard for them.  ;->

Generally, rents are down about $7-12 per square foot in this area post 9/11.
(too late for me though...I moved in Sept 5th...)

From what I hear, soon after T moves out, Eli Kurland will be moving in to
the same space on the 5th floor.

...of course a "real" Leica shop is two blocks south anyway...so Leica is
alive and well in SoHo!<g>

bests,
Rich

Replies: Reply from Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net> (Re: [Leica] Tamarkin's moving)