Subject: Re: [Leica] Less (equipment) is more
From: Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 14:24:06 -0500

Ted Grant wrote:

> For example, the chap who says he shoots everything with just the 50mm lens
> would be completely shot dead in the water if he were shooting the Olympics.
> This kind of venue requires any number of lenses and more than a couple
> camera bodies on your back wherever you're shooting.

I must disagree...

> Where the 50mm maybe his normal and the only way he shoots, but at many
> events such as the above, the normal lens is a 300mm plus extenders and or
> 300 - 400 - 500 - 600 and longer.

I will grant you that if you desire to capture action shots at the
Olympics, you are right on the mark, you need to have long fast glass.
On the other hand, the action is only a very, very small part of
everything that is happening at the Olympics.  I am sure that someone
who knows how to shoot with only one lens cound shoot a huge amount of
film at the Olympics and walk with a lot of saleable images.

Sam Carleton
http://w3.one.net/~carleton/dayinyourlife.html
http://photos.yahoo.com/samcarleton

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Less (equipment) is more)