Subject: Re: [Leica] re: week 5 in athens...
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 22:14:42 +0100

Hi Kyle

> ah! how i love pictures and text to tell a travel story.

Well, thanks, you are the master of that particular genre.

>   http://www.wajsman.com/2002_5alt1.jpg
>
> does anybody else out there belong to the DoD? in that motorcycle club there
> is a saying "you can _get_ a twenty dollar helmet if you have a twenty
> dollar head to put in it." This photo doesn't work for me as well as the
> last. Again, the tonality is gorgeous and would probably stand on its own
> very nicely in many a household, but for me, personally, there's something
> missing. maybe i would have shouted at the men and gotten a shot with them
> looking over (and then chasing me and some more of them beating me)

I snapped two shots before the light changed. The other one has the passenger
looking at me and I thought long and hard about which one to post. I went with
this somewhat static image because the other one is less sharp, possibly
influenced by the fact that I was on the way back to the hotel after a dinner
liberally sprinkled with ouzo.

> http://www.wajsman.com/2002_5alt2.jpg
>
> again, beautiful lighting. i don't like the woman on the left, maybe it's
> because it looks like a sneaked shot and i dont like sneaked shots. i would
> have asked her if it was alright to photograph her and then gotten up way
> close with a 35 or 28 and shot over the candelabra.

The shot is indeed sneaked. I could not bring myself to disturb her. Keep in
mind that people usually light these candles to commemorate a departed family
member. Certainly I would not have liked to be bothered after I had lit my own
candle for my mother and sat there thinking of her.

> http://www.wajsman.com/2002_5alt3.jpg
> http://www.wajsman.com/2002_5alt4.jpg
>
> holy smokes, these colors are beauful. what's your secret? just between you
> and me and the lug? in any event, these are solid photos, i don't know how i
> would have done it better. (is that ladies underwear behind them?)

Yes, ladies underwear and pillows and the like. The colors are nothing special,
I guess you like the tonality of Fuji Acros in XTOL 1+3. I really like this film
and have recently located a European source (well, sort of European, it is
Silverprint in London). I have no idea why Fuji does not market this film in
Europe. They have no other 100 offering in B&W here, all you see is Neopan 400
and 1600.

> in any event, great job. thanks for sharing!

...and thanks for taking the time to comment.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland