Subject: RE: [Leica] ice, ice, baby
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 13:28:01 -0500

George Lottermoser wrote:
>>His reports amaze me because we're not getting any news
> coverage at all. Something seems terribly wrong with the "news
> media" when for a month every other word is "anthrax" and when
> 50,000 people don't have power, and a city is under two inches of
> ice - no body knows didly about it.<<<<<

Sorry to be coming in late on this...but...

Your reaction surprises me, George. It's winter. There are winter storms
everywhere, every winter. Every winter many millions of people get buried
under snow and ice. Many millions of people go without power. And in the
summer it gets hot. And every summer hundreds, if not thousands of people
die of heat related medical problems. And airconditioners overstress power
supplies and many millions of people go without power. Every summer.

On the other hand, no one in the United States is normally exposed to
anthrax by opening an envelope. The fact that that happened to even one
person, anywhere in the country, much less in the Senate, major postal
facilities, and at major media outlets, is a genuine news story - even if
there weren't fears that these anthrax exposures were somehow linked to our
"war on terror."

Weather? BOoooooorrrrrring. News to you who are effected. Not news for the
rest of us - even though local and national media go absolutely bonkers with
weather stories. To me the real weather stories have to do with how a city
such as Washington, D.C., which gets snow and ice virtually every winter,
manages to shut down when the first flake hits. Or why people in Boston,
where snow is a fact of winter life, go running for the supermarket every
time there is a forecast of more than two inches of snow.

Anthrax? Scarrrrry. Over played? No doubt. But genuine news.

B. D.