Subject: RE: [Leica]OT P******g Pyrenees
From: BOB KRAMER <BobKramer@COOPERCARRY.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:07:12 -0500

I don't put *too* much stock in the breed intelligence ratings.  Get a breed
in the top ten, and they will be plenty smart enough!  The ratings are
extremely subjective, and who knows what training methods are being used in
any of the evaluations.  And genetic temperament traits come into play as
well.  For instance, GSDs (German Shepherd Dogs) tend to be more robotic in
their responses to commands, whereas Dobermans tend to have a bit of this
"creative disobedience" thing going on in their thought processes.  As the
old Schutzhund saying goes, a Doberman will kill for you, but a GSD will die
for you (although I am not so sure either behavior is the kind I would want
to train into a dog).

My dog Jazz taught herself to open a closed door with her teeth at 12 weeks
old (by turning the door knob, after watching me).  That's as smart of a dog
as I care to have!

Those are a couple of fine looking dogs there, B.D.!  :-)

BK

Replies: Reply from "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com> (Re: [Leica]OT P******g Pyrenees)