Subject: Re: [Leica] Trip to Paris
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 21:30:29 -0800

Robert Stevens wrote:
>>> My wife and I are planning a trip to Paris next month. We are just
> waiting to hear back on what flats are available for rent. We plan on
> taking my son Gordon and staying for about two weeks.
>
> I am thinking of just leaving the R8 at home and bringing two M6 and an
> M3. What lenses would you suggest? I have a 15mm Heliar, 24mm ASPH,
> 35mm Summicron ASPH, 50mm Summicron,Noctilux, 75mm Summilux, 90mm Elmarit,
and 135mm f4 Tele-Elmarit.<<<<<<<<<

Hi Robert,
You know asking this question is going to get you one hundred thousand
different answers! ;-) And some by people who have never been in Paris, let
alone on the European continent. ;-)

You know how you use certain lenses yourself and what you expect from them,
as well as you already know the things you would like to shoot.  Therefore
this really comes back to you for your own answers. Although I can't imagine
going to Paris in the middle of winter? :-)  yeah I kow "cheap costs." ;-)

Having been there not too long ago may I suggest the 15mm, as you can never
be too wide in Paris. The 35 will almost become your normal kind of lens.

The Noctilux would be front and centre and always available depending on the
level of light situations you run into.  The 75 or the 90? Well this comes
down to what do you intend on shooting with either of these lenses? And how
well do you know the handling of either?

My personal choice would be the 90mm, as I don't like the 75. Why? Well not
due to it's incredible cutting images into film, but I never felt
comfortable with the damn viewfinder confusion. But that's me, as others
have none .

And given you have the apartment to stay in, I'd definitely take the R8.
What lenses?  That's your choice, as I don't know what glass you have or do
we have any idea what you may or may not shoot or be looking for.

But most certainly if you have the 80-200 or 70-180 I'd have that along for
sure.

So there you go for what it's worth. ;-)
ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Message from "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com> ([Leica] Trip to Paris)