Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Winter in GA
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 13:47:50 -0800

B. D. Wrote:
>>Posed? Noooooooo. That couple with the boots and whips always sits around
that way with a saddle at their feet. And the little girl with the dog?
> Think her arm is wired around that beast? ;-)<<

 B. D.
You mean to say you don't have friends who lounge about the house with their
ass in the saddle half the day and on horse back the rest? ;-)

As for being posed? I don't think so, they look as normal as anyone sitting
around in there riding gear! ;-)  Yeah right, doesn't everyone sit around
like this on their Sunday's off ? ;-)

And if that's "non posed" looking, I'd sure as hell like to see what they
look like being, "Joe cool!" normal! :-)

However, if one puts the fooling around aside for a moment, the most
important thing to learn from this site and good old Joe, is "lighting" and
how it looks and shining in your face.

Once we recognize what lighting effects work in posed studio fashion, we
then can look for similar lighting as we go about shooting everyday picture
taking.

It's like when I say, "shoot from the shadowside," there are examples of
what I call "Rembrandt lighting,"  Joe refers to it as "45 degree" light.
Same thing. The examples in chapter #1; photos #4 & 11 illustrate this
effect. Particularly picture #18.

So all that's required is to remember the light effect, then because most of
us work in the cold cruel world of available light, to keep in mind how the
lighting looked in the picture, then apply that to walking into an office
looking for it.

A quick look at how to get 45 degrees to the window or whatever the
mainlight source is, then go from there to placing the subject, if it's
going to be a posed setting.  Don't forget, you don't have to pose anyone to
use the "perfect light" if you understand light in the first place, so you
move to where you see the light being the most effective. Then start
shooting from there.

If not and you're doing a roam and shoot, then the lighting lessons from
this site can still be applied as one walks about looking for images.
Actually if the shooter doesn't understand light, then studying the lighting
chapters will be very helpful in making better existing lit photographs.

However, the rest of the stuff is over posed or I should say, typically
studio posed. But that's what a great number of folks pay for, so therefore
who are we to knock it and shoot it down. This comment is in the general
sense for everyone, me included.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant