Subject: RE: [Leica] Inge Morath, Photographer With a Poetic Touch, Dies at 78
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:01:00 -0700

> <<Does this notice mean nothing?
>
> Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company | Privacy Information
>
> A link to the article would have sufficed to inform rather than
> illegally copying the entire article.

The NY Times allows you to e-mail a whole article with the full text.
Presumably the Obit is by a staff writer, so the Times owns the copyright.
They allow and encourage you to do this, so they don't seem to mind. I doubt
it was illegal.

On the other hand, no Tristan, you can't just copy any article and make sure
the copyright notice is on it - there are set out terms (and fairly
complicated case law) in the copyright act for what is "Fair Use" - i.e.
copying an article, it includes certain academic use, criticism, private
study (I think) and so on.

Tim A