Subject: Re: [Leica] Arne's PAW #3 and #4 for 2002
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 08:40:33 -0800

On 1/28/02 at 8:03 AM, Arne.Helme@stelvio.nl (Arne Helme) thoughtfully wrote:

> PAW #3 is a portrait of my wife, Cindy.  It is lit by daylight that was
> diffused by a very thin curtain that hangs in front of a window in our
> hallway.  Inspiration for this shot was the photos that Robert G. Stevens has
> posted of his son.  I like (environmental) portraits where the subject makes
> eye contact with the viewer.  Shot with Leica M6 + 1.0/50mm Noctilux at f1.4
> on Ilford XP2 Super.
>
> http://helme.stelvio.nl/paw2002/paw03.html

I like this shot. Good lighting blend and interesting visual textures. My only
thought is that the vertical space above her, for me, unbalances the portrait a
bit, although seen on a wall I might have a different take on it. I'm not good
at isolating what I see on the screen very well yet.

I like the way the background shapes are vertical bands although maybe one of
them shouldn't spring from her head? I don't know. Maybe I'm looking too hard
because when I saw it first that wasn't my reaction. Did you burn in the corners
slightly or is that the work of the Noct?

Thanks for sharing. Very nice.

Adam

Replies: Reply from Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Arne's PAW #3 and #4 for 2002)