Subject: [Leica] Re: OT: Paypal warning
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 16:52:40 -0600

Pascal:

>But I thought it was precisely the advantage of PayPal that it would
>take mistrust or uncertainty away between sellers and buyers...
>Seems not to be the case, so what's the point in using it ?

To provide an easy way to exchange money between two people who already
trust each other.

If you don't have trust, what you want is an escrow service.

Most small time people don't take credit cards.  I just used PayPal to buy
"the shade" from a guy in Switzerland.  Which I received 5 business days
later.  Otherwise, I'd have had to write a check, stick it in the mail, wait
for him to receive my payment, wait for him to cash my check, wait for him
to make sure my check clears, and *then* start waiting the 5 business days
it took to receive the goodies.

I just bought a Timbuk2 bag from the site that can't be named.  Used Ebay's
(damn...I think I just goofed) payment system.  But same deal...the seller
has my money and he said he'd drop it in the mail tomorrow.  Cuts at least a
week--and longer if the seller wants to make sure the check is actually
good--off the time between buying and receiving the item.

Eric