Subject: Re: [Leica] .... hood....
From: bachchaconne@my-deja.com
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 01:43:45 +0800

A rectangular hood (with the correct aspect ratio for the format)
affords better shielding of stray light.  Cine cameras, Hasselblad,
TLRs (Rollei, Yashica, Minolta...) etc all use such hoods.  Have you
seen such cameras (or even AF zooms with the petal-shaped
abominations) sporting skewed hoods?

The "lop-sidedness" relates to the manner of attachment.  The good-old
screw-on thread or a carefully designed bayonet will guarantee correct
alignment, just like the lens mount itself.

Andrew