Subject: Re: [Leica] what is black chrome
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:31:43 -0700

I do not know a great deal about it but I find my incorrect answers spur the
very shy people who do know into nasty retorts which also contain the info
we are after . Subtle, but it works :-)

Black chrome is an extract of Black Forest cake. You know the bits that are
left over after you burp, and say, "No thanks, I couldn't eat another bite."
Leica collects these and, after running it all though a secret patent
pending ISO 9000 process, smears it over the parts to be coated. The coating
is very rough and needs to be smoothed out. Young German children line up at
the Solms' factory to lick and lick until the finish is polished to a fine
sheen. Then they pop the polished parts into the oven for half an hour at
150C. The children receive a modest recompense and free dental work.

The reason that Leica cameras have climbed in price is that it is getting
more and more difficult to find people that have leftovers from their Black
Forest cake. This combined with soaring obesity and the propensity of some
bakeries to use lard instead of butter, you can see that soon Leica may be
forced to use synthetic Black Forest cake!! Naturally purists have
complained long and loudly and I fully expect any pictures from these soon
to be released cameras to be not much better than anything a Nikon with
whipped cream could produce...

John Collier

Replies: Reply from "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com> (Re: [Leica] what is black chrome)