Subject: [Leica] Using a D1 for a living
From: John Pakington <johnnie@bbpr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:48:55 -0000

'Ok, does anyone here use a D1 for a living? I'm interested, because I
> have yet to see a realtime digital camera that has anywhere near the
> capture lattitude of film. Down here we tested a certain highend digital
> motion picture camera and found it basicly to be a fancy HDTV camera and
> no competition for film.'

I was lucky enough to get an assignment that had to be shot on digital (it
was a tour where pictures had to be sent in to local papers as soon as the
event was over) and the fee was enough to enable me to buy the camera,
17-35mm lens (because the size of the chip means that your focal length is
increased be 50%,) Mac laptop and various gizmos.

I have to say that I was very cynical about digital and thought that I would
only use for tight deadline stuff, but in fact I very rarely use my F4 these
days and have sold the F3s that were carried as back-up. It is truly
wonderful to be able to check that you have got the shot and then be able to
try a few riskier pictures, safe in the knowledge that you have a 'banker.'
It is also wonderful to be able to change ISOs at every shot.

My back-up camera is now an M6 which I load with TMY in case the muse grabs
me and obviously holidays are pure Leica heaven.

Digital isn't better or worse than film, it's different. Treat it like
transparency film when shooting, be sensitive to it when Photoshopping and
it's a great medium.

Johnnie

Johnnie Pakington
London