Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Success crisis
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:10:50 -0700

The volume has indeed ramped up rather steeply these last few weeks. A few
short weeks ago it would have been hard to imagine that we might be
complaining about too many pictures and criticisms :-). Many people seem to
feel that it is necessary to respond to every PAW posting and every PAW
criticism as well. We are even inundated with messages that only say thank
you! Sigh. I am hoping that it will all calm down as people realise there is
more to life than reading the L-U and stepping briefly outside to get the
next week's PAW.

I can easily sympathise with the many unsubscribers. The list was barely
manageable before. Is it doomed to become a haven only for people bed ridden
or in confinement?

The above is mostly tongue in cheek but, if had first subscribed yesterday,
I would be unsubscribing today. I can see no easy solutions. Here are some
simple ones that sound vaguely ridiculous but may spur others to come up
with better ones:

- - Filter out all posts with the words: thank you. If we need to thank
someone do it privately. This is not a joke, I am serious.

- - Filter any REPLY with any mention of PAW so that they have [PAW] appended
to the messages. This way the main list still gets all the original PAW
postings (I appreciate the pictures) but can easily manage all the replies.

- - Start a separate list.....sigh.

John Collier