Subject: [Leica] Will Ravenel's PAW, Week 3
From: William Ravenel <wmrav@triad.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 22:08:56 -0500

I've posted week 3 - http://home.triad.rr.com/wrphotos/week3.html

I really screwed up this last weekend. I went to my son's All-State
Orchestra auditions Saturday hoping to get lots of pictures of
students as they practiced before the auditions. Soon after taking
this shot of my son I answered nature's call. While washing my hands,
I managed to knock the LowePro fanny pack containing my M6TTL and
35mm Summicron off the towel dispenser where it had foolishly been
placed. You would think that with five feet between dispenser and the
tiles below I should have had time to throw myself to the floor
beneath the back and break it's fall. Instead, I watched in frozen
horror as the bag went thud. Camera appeared to be fine. No
rangefinder mis-alignment or anything I could detect. The lense,
however, had a very tight focus ring and a very loose aperture ring
(no click stops, just spinning ring). Since I only have one lense,
this put an end to my photography for the day leaving me slim
pickings for a week 3 PAW.

I remember someone on the LUG not long ago commenting that they never
placed their camera on anything except the floor. I wish I had
followed that advise.

The good news out of all this is that the lense was bought new and
was sent back to NJ under the Passport warranty for repair or
replacement. I now also had a really good excuse for buying a second
lense and ordered a 50mm f:1.4 Summilux Monday. I ordered an older
1st type chrome version which should arrive tomorrow. I've read that
the 2nd and 3rd version optical formula and coatings are better, but
couldn't find one available at a price I could afford. I'm leaving
for a business trip to Japan Saturday and couldn't bear the thought
of leaving the camera at home.

So my weeks 4 and 5 posts will have to wait until I return. It'll be
refreshing to violate the exotic foreign places taboo instead of the
pictures of my children taboo for a change ;)

- --
Will Ravenel
Greensboro, NC
PAW Page: http://home.triad.rr.com/wrphotos/