Subject: Re: [Leica] A modest PAW this week
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:32:19 -0800

Mark Davison wrote:

> http://not.contaxg.com/document.php?id=571
>
> A still-life study, raindrops on a window. I took a number of pictures of
> the rain on my window, trying to convey the cool elegance of the drops.
> Tried various cameras, lenses, points of view, but this moderate closeup
> taken with my Bronica medium format camera seemed to give the best balance
> between abstract geometry and mood.  The Leica M shots were too far away
> (drops too small). Also, the Bronica wide open gives a nice creamy OOF
> treatment of the background behind the window (which is itself a window.)
>
> Has anyone else tried the exercise of shooting rain? Its an elusive
> substance!
><Snip>

So I'll be the devils advocate here again on this thing on the lug.

I would have loved this shot even more if the photographer had not told
us how the shots with the Leica M had just not cut it.
As a die hard Leica LUG fanatic is makes me very sad. (He weeps and sobs)
But then again it's a bit of a no brainer - macro photography is not
exactly what most of us bought our Leica M's for is it?
It's those closer magnifications this are most pointedly the systems
weakness. No groundglass. Parallax.
Unless we go to the unusual steps of using a dual range or Viso.
But Everyone just loves it! So peaceful! So non political and non confrontational!

I call it a slightly pain in the ass thing to do on the LUG.
Show us what the Leica M is NOT all about! Modest!

Not just off topic but anti topic!
But I'm sure no one said the PAW had to be about Leica i guess.
Please!! Everyone show us the shots you did wide open with your damn Bronicas!
Show us the shots you did with other cameras after your Leicas failed you!!!!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net> (Re: [Leica] A modest PAW this week)